University of Arizona Old Main
Over the years MWG has provided on-going services related to the structural engineering of Old Main and other historic buildings on campus. Originally constructed in 1891, Old Main serves as the symbolic heart of the UofA campus but restorations, renovations, modifications have been necessary for it to continually serve as a functional facility.
This $13 million renovation included historic restoration of elements such as the long east/ west and north/south hallways that form the “cross” of the cruciform layout, modifications for new HAVC and systems, and renovation and modification to the entire second floor. In addition to serving as the home to the University’s Administration, Old Main will serve as a public gallery space, displaying art and objects from UA museums and the Center for Creative Photography.
The project has been honored with a USGBC Arizona Leader Award for Building Performance in 2017, in addition to a 2015 Governor’s Heritage Preservation Grand Award; the Tucson-Pima County Historical Commission’s Historic Preservation Award; the Design-Build Institute of America’s Western Pacific region Design-Build award; and the National Award of Merit in Rehabilitation, Renovation and/or Restoration from the Design-Build Institute of America.